Friday, September 27, 2013

Pickles, kuchen and cropping - oh my!

A bit late posting this - but it has been a busy week!

Last weekend was a great time to catch up on a few things - including making a batch (two!) of Maritime Mustard Pickles. I have posted the recipe on here before - but in case you forgot how appealing these pickles are to the eye as well as the taste buds - here is a reminder!

Megan and Will have a plum tree in their yard - and every year, they have lots of plums to give away. Mom usually makes Plum Peachy Jam and does some baking with them - I usually just eat them.

But thanks to a recipe shared by a facebook friend, I thought I would try making a Plum Kuchen. In the past, I have found the cake a bit dry and not really worth the time to make. This one changed my mind! It is moist and delicious - lots of plum flavour plus a nice streusel topping.


Oma's Fruitcake Recipe

(Note from Tammy E: This was my grandma's (Oma's) fruit cake recipe with streusel topping. I have made it with plums, blueberries, and peaches. It is kind of a rough recipe as it was handed down, but it works and it is tasty!)

2 eggs

1/2 cup sugar (or more if you want it sweeter)       
pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 cup milk

Beat all ingredients together. Batter is a little thicker than most cakes. Spread evenly in greased 9 x 13 pan.

Streusel


1/2 cup butter or margarine
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup flour (to make it crumbly)

Mix together until crumbly. Sprinkle on top.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until bubbly around the edges and very light brown on top.

Serve warm or cold. Good with ice cream or a bit of whipped cream.

After all that time in the kitchen, I spent Sunday with my 'scrapsisters' at a crop working on some of my scrapbook projects.

I am currently trying to get caught up with the circle journals that have been patiently waiting on my table - and worked hard to get one done. Like many of us, I have a hard time scrapbooking about myself and there are not many pages about me in our albums. I was happy with how this turned out - I even made a copy to put in our album.


 
Now if I can get a few more of those unfinished tasks on my fall to-do list done this weekend...
 
 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment