Monday, October 17, 2011

...and more clippings!

Still sorting through newspaper clippings and recipes written on scraps of paper - and came across a couple of favorites.

The first is a recipe from my friend Rea. Rea has baked for the annual Community Christmas Dinner since it started - I think about 7 years now - and I help out a bit. Everything is great - but I have to say, Rea's Rum Balls are my favorite!

Rea's Rum Balls

3/4 c. whipping cream          2 c. chocolate chips
1/4 c. butter                        3 tbsp. rum
3 tbsp. sugar                       4 c graham wafer crumbs

Melt whipping cream, butter and sugar - bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add the chocolate chips and rum. Stir until chocolate chips melt. Add the graham cracker crumbs and still well. Cool 3 hours or overnight. Form into balls. Roll in chocolate sprinkles.

When we lived in Terrace, I was lucky enough to make friends with Rhonda R. Rhonda was a great cook, seamstress and friend - and she shared the following recipe with me. My family loved these - and now I found the recipe, I can make them again!

Chocolate Billionaires

1 pkg. (14 oz) caramels                    1 c. crushed rice krispies
3 tbsp. water                                   2 c. chocolate chips
1 1/2 c. coarsely chopped pecans   

In double boiler, melt caramels and water. Remove from heat; stir in pecans and rice krispies. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto wax paper. Chill until firm,

Melt chocolate chips over low heat. Dip balls in melted chocolate. Place on wax paper and chill until set. Store in airtight container. Makes about 4 dozen.

About 3 years ago, I clipped the recipe below out of a Woman's Day magazine. It is quick to make and tastes great - and I have made it every year since I found the recipe!

Candy and Cookie Bark

4 bars (3 oz. each) mint chocolate, broken into pieces
3 packs (from a box of 6) 100 Calorie Oreo Thin Crisps, coarsely crumbles
3 medium peppermint candy canes, coarsely chopped

Line a baking sheet with foil. Melt chocolate, stirring often until melted.  Stir in 1 cup crumbled cookies; scrape mixture onto lined pan. Spread about 1/4 inch thick. Immediately sprinkle with crushed candy canes and remaining crumbled cookies. Pat down slightly.

Refrigerate until firm. Break into uneven pieces. Refrigerate in an airtight container with wax paper between the layers. Makes about 24 pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment