Monday, October 10, 2011

It was a busy weekend...

...at our house - putting everything away in the yard, pulling up the last of the plants, putting up a new light and house numbers.

Barry worked really hard - even had time to clean the bathrooms for me - something I really do not like doing. That left me some time to decorate our front entryway.


I also cleaned out the pantry - good thing, as I also finished up most of my canning - Apple Cranberry Mincement (a spoonful was really good on my yoghurt!) and Maritime Mustard Pickles. I have one chutney left to do - hopefully this week.
  

Apple Cranberry Mincement

6c.        finely chopped tart apples (about 2lbs)
1c.        sultana raisins
1c.        dark raisins
1 1/2c.  dried cranberries
2/3c.     lightly packed brown sugar
2 tsp.    ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/4c.     brandy (see note below)
1/2c.     water
            grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
           
Combine all ingredients, except brandy, in a large pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in brandy and return to a boil.

Ladle preserves into hot jars, top with hot lids and rings. Process for 20 minutes for small jars and 30 minutes for large jars.

I made a couple of changes to the basic recipe - I added 4 pears, peeled and finely chopped, and didn't have any brandy, so used some Butterscotch Ripple Schnapps.

I also had lots I wanted to do - so instead of being tied to the stove, I used my crockpot  - on high heat. Once it was bubbling, I bottled the mincement and then processed it as above.



Mustard Pickles

 I found the recipe on http://islandkitchenparty.blogspot.com/2007/10/mustard-pickles.html and it tastes pretty close to the one I tried (and loved!) at Mary's Place Diner and Cafe in Victoria, PEI.

4 c diced onions
8 cucumbers
1 medium cauliflower
2 medium sweet red peppers (diced)

3 1/2 c sugar
1/2 c flour
1 1/2 tsp turmeric
3 Tbsp dry mustard
1 tsp ginger
2 1/2 c vinegar

Peel and cut onions into medium sized pieces. Peel cucumbers, remove seeds and centres - cut to desired size. Separate cauliflower into small flowerets. Dice red peppers. Make a brine to cover vegetables of 1/2 cup coarse salt to 1 quart water and let stand overnight (or for 8 hours).

Next day, drain vegetables. In a large bowl mix sauce dry ingredients together until there are no lumps.In   a large stockpot add the vinegar and 2 cups hot water to the dry ingredients, bring to a boil and allow to boil for 5 minutes stirring constantly, Then add the vegetables to the sauce,  bring to a boil, and boil for an additional 5 minutes stirring constantly  - be careful not to scorch it.

Ladle into hot, sterilized jars, while mixture is still hot. Process for 10 minutes.






No comments:

Post a Comment