Saturday, November 12, 2011

Candy Cane Cookies

It is a very blustery day here and I also saw a reminder that Christmas is 43 days away - the two got me thinking that I should start getting a list together of what I would like to bake this Christnas.

When I was 12 or so, I got the Betty Crocker Cookie Book from my mom and dad for my birthday. It was the start of my cookie baking, and I still have the book - although it is missing a few pages and the back cover - and in it is one of my favorite Christmas cookie recipes.

I made these a few times while growing up, and then when Megan and Katie were little, we made them as well. When they moved out, I had stopped making them - it isn't the same making them by yourself!

Then last year - Mom, Megan, Katie and I - had our first 'Baking Day' - we all got together early at our house and spent about  8 hours baking all sorts of delicious cookies - and of course, made the Candy Cane Cookies!

Hope you enjoy this - and have fun making it with your family or foodie friends!


Megan forming candy cane cookies

Candy Cane Cookies
(original recipe from Betty Crocker Cookie Cookbook)


1 cup sifted icing sugar


1 cup butter or margarine, softened

1 tsp. almond extract


1 tsp. vanilla extract


1 egg


2 1/2 c. all purpose flour


1 tsp. salt


1/2 tsp. red food coloring


1/2 c. crushed candy canes


1/2 c. granulated sugar



Heat oven to 375'. Stir together icing sugar, butter, milk, vanilla, extract and egg in large bowl. Stir in flour and salt. Divide dough in half. Stir food coloring into 1 half. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours.

Stir together crushed candy canes and sugar.

For each candy cane, shape 1 rounded teaspoon dough from each half into 4-inch rope by rolling back and forth on floured surface. Place 1 red and white rope side by side; press together lightly and twist. Place on ungreased cookie sheet; curve top of cookie down to form handle of cane.

Bake about 9 minutes until lightly browned. While still warm, roll gently in candy cane/sugar mixture.

Makes about 4 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment